RFC Compliance: Difference between revisions
(add calconnect starter list of standards and specs)
Latest revision as of 16:06, 18 January 2016
Template:Languages Up to release 0.5.x the development of DAViCal was largely following the needs of the publicly available client software. At that point there was fairly complete interoperability with the publicly available software at the time with support for CalDAV (Mulberry, Mozilla Calendar, Evolution and Chandler).
In later releases we have put some focus into ensuring that DAViCal communication is compliant with the relevant RFCs, regardless of whether the client software requires RFC compliance. In general, however, our intention is to pragmatically implement support for specification areas which are in actual use, prior to implementation of specification areas which might become used in the future.
From 0.9.8 there is significant advancement in spec implementation due to changes in the underlying structure for generating responses.
From 0.9.9 we are starting to move into a phase of implementing standards during their design phase, with the standards coverage of DAViCal now mostly exceeding what is used by common client software.
Related RFCs and Drafts
- Template:CalDAV RFC (Calendaring Extensions to WebDAV) (IETF Proposed Standard)
- CalDAV Scheduling Extensions to WebDAV (RFC6638) (Internet-Draft, expires September, 2011)
- Defines the "calendar-schedule" feature of CalDAV.
- Changes from draft four are considerable (1)
- version 6 -> 7 changes are also significant, but hopefully this is close to the final one.
- In 0.9.9.1 we attempt to target an as-yet-unreleased -09 version of the draft which was received privately from the authors.
- Template:ITIP RFC (IETF Proposed Standard)
- Template:WebDAV ACL RFC (IETF Proposed Standard)
- Template:DAV RFC (IETF Proposed Standard)
- Template:ICalendar RFC (IETF Proposed Standard)
- Template:WebDAV Versioning RFC (IETF Proposed Standard)
- S3.6 is referred to in Template:RFC S7.8
- The expand-property report and supported-report-set and supported-method-set properties are supported by DAViCal from 0.9.8 onwards.
- Template:RFC "Calendar Access Protocol" (Experimental Protocol)
- Similar to WCAP from Sun.
- Template:HTTP RFC (Standards Track)
- Template:WebDAV Current User Principal RFC (IETF Proposed Standard) - supported from 0.9.6.2 onwards.
- Template:Extended MKCOL RFC (IETF Proposed Standard) - supported from 0.9.8 onwards.
- Template:CardDAV RFC - Initial support towards -10 draft from 0.9.9.1
- CardDAV Directory Gateway Extension (Draft, not supported)
- Template:WebDAV Sync RFC - supported in various drafts from 0.9.8 onwards
- RFC 5785 (standards track) - supported for caldav/carddav URLs from 0.9.9.1
- Template:Ticket ACLs for WebDAV - supported from 0.9.9 onwards.
- Template:WebDAV Bind - supported from 0.9.9 onwards.
- Template:WebDAV Search - not supported.
- Template:WebDAV POST Add Member - not supported.
- Template:Timezone Service - supported from 0.9.9.6 onwards.
- Template:Locating CalDAV and CardDAV services RFC - supported from 0.9.9.1 onwards.
- Template:ICalendar Extensions - not specifically supported, but should generally be passed unchanged.
- Template:CalDAV Extensions - not supported as at 0.9.9.7.
- Template:CalDAV Attachments - not supported as at 0.9.9.7.
- Template:Brief Header - supported at 1.0.2
There has been some effort to break down the elements of a number of these RFCs into a broader structure within this wiki. This is best seen by starting at the DAV page, which it is hoped will evolve to be the root of a hierarchy of useful interlinked documentation, and may ultimately replace this page.
CALCONNECT, "The Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium", has a Starter List of CalDAV and CardDAV Standards and Specifications on their website at http://www.calconnect.org/starterlistcaldavcarddav.shtml
Current Status of DAViCal Compliance
As at 0.9.9 significant parts of the CalDAV specification are supported, along with most of DAV (except COPY). Many elements of WebDAV access control are supported, especially with the new permissions structure which arrived in 0.9.8, but this area could still do with some more work. The scheduling extensions to CalDAV are now largely supported (they work with iCal3/iCal4, and at present no free-software clients support these extensions) and the draft is expected to be ratified within the next few months. WebDAV tickets and WebDAV Bindings are also supported in 0.9.9, and WebDAV Sync support was upgraded to the -03 draft at that release also.
Further detail may be in these occasionally maintained pages covering specific important RFCs: <ListSubPages/>