Difference between revisions of "CalDAV Clients/Calendar Sync for Android"
|Line 9:||Line 9:|
Where 'calendar' is generally 'home', by default, on DAViCal.
Where 'calendar' is generally 'home' , by default, on DAViCal.
== CalendarSync ==
== CalendarSync ==
Latest revision as of 11:09, 23 September 2011
Calendar Sync for Android will synchronise the calendar on your phone with a remote CalDAV server, including a DAViCal server.
This is a calendar synchronisation program, and as such it needs to be given a calendar URL, which in DAViCal's case will be something of the form:
Where 'calendar' is generally 'home' (pre DAViCal 0.9.9.4) or 'calendar' (from 0.9.9.5), by default, on DAViCal.
The app can sync with various calendar sources using Http,FTP or CalDAV. It also can sync with DAViCal. It also supports a bunch of other features and it receives updates frequently. The app also is available at the google market.
Click here to get to CalendarSync:CalendarSync
- The App is using a self-created parser which support complex and more features than other iCalendar parsing/importing applications.
- Import appointments, alarms and attendees direct from iCal files (*.ics). and applications.
- Import appointments, alarms and attendees direct from Microsoft Calendar files (*.vcs) and applications.
- Export appointments, alarms and attendees which are stored on the device to iCal files (*.ics).
- Make a quick look at the appointments stored in the iCal files.
- Update old and add new appointments from an iCal file.
- iCalendar files are associated to this app.
- Timezone support.
- Create and remove calendars on the device.
- Fingerfriendly landscape/portrait mode aware GUI.
- Load, Parse and sync ICal files direct from the Internet from different sources.
- Supports the download/handling of calendar informations with HTTP/HTTPS.
- Supports the sync from and to server which provide calendar informations with CalDAV.
- Supports the download/handling of calendar informations with FTP/FTPS.
- Supports the download/handling of webcal/webcals feeds.
- Periodically background sync of calendar informations.
- Automatically background sync can be handled periodically by the app itself or it can be triggered by external applications like Tasker.
- Checking for updates
- Advanced filtering which informations should be imported
- Supporting devices with more than one cpu core to speed up parsing/importing/downloading of informations.
- Multi-language: Currently english and german.
- If you are interested in translating the app in other languages please contact me.
This product is discontinued.
Using Self-signed SSL Certificates
In the latest Calendar Sync version there is now an option to accept any certificate without checking, which makes it much easier to use a self-signed cert. Of course for better security you may still want to install the root certificate.
Installing the Root on Android
If you use a self-signed SSL certificate on the Android the process of making it work is somewhat convoluted...
According to Brendan Whelan from Hypermatix, the following steps are needed:
- First, you need to create a keystore containing the cert of your Certification Authority (albeit your own server).
- Bob Lee has an excellent blog post on how to do this. Just follow his steps one and two from http://crazybob.org/20120/02/android-trusting-ssl-certificates.html
- Essentially this involves getting old of the root certificate. I use the CACert.org root authority myself, and their root is downloadable from their website, but you need to follow part of the above process to convert it to a .bks file.
- Rename your file to "CA.bks".
- Create a new directory on your phone's SD card at /CalDAVSync/CA/ and drop the CA.bks in there.
- Then in CalendarSync, Advanced connection settings, check to enable using the keystore and enter the password you chose for the keystore.
Do a sync and it should work!
One caveat though: the app can't read the keystore while your phone is connected to a PC and in USB hard drive mode, so you'll need disable USB drive mode before sync will work without error.